Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Whoa!





All photos by Randy Wright. Pictures and story of a shark breaching off Sunset!

I'll paraphrase " On October 3, 2009 Randy Wright of Horizon's West Surf Shop, Santa Monica, was kayaking 320 yards off Sunset Beach.... Still looking towards the point area, at 9:00 AM exactly, I noticed some movement towards my left and quickly turned the camera and fired off 4 shots of something, I wasn't sure, airborne and then splashing. As I was not originally looking in the same exact direction, I did not see what it was, it happened so fast, but I assumed this was a shark, since I did not see any dolphins in the area surface and breathe afterwards...... At exactly 10:00 AM I heard another splash on my starboard side, towards the Bel Air Bay Club, but missed the animal breach, but shot the remnants of the splash. I did not see any other breaching by the time I left at 11:23 AM arriving back at Horizon's West Surf Shop at noon. Two friends, Carlos Pires and Paige Heatherington watched me unload my camera from the SPL Waterhousing and download and go over the photo's I shot that morning over the 4 hour period that I spent observing. Our jaws literally dropped when image #73, 74, 75, 76 appeared, for his was the legendary breaching shark in mid-air! This was what I saw and luckily captured.”

Gnarly!!! Hopefully it will eat some SUP kooks!

Read more here: http://sharkresearchcommittee.com/pacific_coast_shark_news.htm


2.5 @ 14secs from 200

9 Comments:

At 11:57 AM, Blogger Steve PP said...

Whoa! These are nuts!

 
At 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! The good ol' home break! It's knarly because when its low tide that shark is jumping right in the break zone (that's a 5ft high tide in the photos). I've been hoping to see the shark over the past couple of months. So happy someone snapped a picture - thought it would have been from the shore though!

and yes - there's plenty of SUP prey out there - go get em!

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

I've seen the shark breach a couple of times. I was completely unnerved the first time . . . and stayed in the water because the waves were good. The second time I didn't even bat an eye. What is is about surfing that makes us tempt ate?

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Ha ha! I meant "fate".

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger christian said...

I'm tired of those barnyards dropping in on me.

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger twin said...

Eeeek!!

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger Patch said...

Splash.

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Gaz said...

You guys are crazy to keep surfing down there, I'm sticking to the safe waters we have here.

 
At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Justin said...

I Respect Sharks, but screw that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home