Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Darling

Yesterday I walked over the stones, up the stony trail, took off my wetsuit, and drove up the 101. Stopped at the local Contest Store on Garden St. Talked for a bit and walked out 1000 bucks poorer.

But I rented out Rincon for the morn. From 6am til 8am. 500 an hour the chap told me. Sold.

So I had a contest the next day. Boards had to be 5 and a half and under. Twin fins, singles, shit throw a big center fin in there. Doesn't matter how many fins, how wide your board, how thick, wings, swallow or stub....just have it under a 5'6". Only rule was that everyone traded boards. Couldn't ride the board you brought.

Locals pissed but so what that they can't surf there for one day, one morning, a couple hours. Would be so fun to see that type of contest. 20 or so lucky souls. Maybe picked out of a couple hundred people that threw their name in a hat the week before. Big drawing the night before the contest at Joes.


Surfing the Queen of the Coast on a single 5'5 felt like butter that day. Ridin' high and dippin' low. Coverups and overandouts. Day was won by a surfer on a 5'6" keel. Flowin' and workin' that point break glass.

Oh I can dream. And if it was I would make the second day of the contest at the other Rincon in Puerto Rico. What a match!



2.3 @ 14 secs from 285 and cooooolllldd

7 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Blogger unidentified said...

I'm naive about these 'troll' type things but I think your above that so this was areal deal? eh?
I love these type of events and to have it at the Queen is perfect!
Let's hear more about the board and how to get in on the event?
If it's real? It's early.
Thanks my friend,
wj

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger pushingtide said...

Sorry brotha. Just a little dreamin' and wishin'.

Do they ever have contests at the Queen? And why not? The locals can suck it up for a couple of hours.

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger twin said...

Sounds awesome! Even if it is a dream...

We do something similar up here. Not a contest, per se....just a mish-mash of pnw surfers. The NPLC calls a gathering...nothing under 9'0" allowed....and you must ride each board there. A laid-back weekend of surfing/sunning/smiling...

 
At 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd chip in.

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger unidentified said...

silly me. I'll believe anything.

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Miss Jeanette said...

Yeah baby! Think big.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Aaron C. Mason said...

yes! More. MORE!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home