Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Art Slobs


Barry McGee interpretation of what he sees in his old single fins. At a show in Riverside (!) of all places.

Been on a surf art kick lately, well forever, actually but who's countin'. Showed up at the Venice Mollusk last Friday Cool Bra show. While the shop and vibe was cool, the Cuba pics that were showing in little slideshows around the spot were kinda lame. At least edit and tweak your pics a bit if you are going to display them. It seemed as though one of the Marshall brothers, who were throwin' the gig, just uploaded his Cuba trip photos untouched and that was the show. Maybe I am jaded from reading and seeing all the cool photos/art/writings of the surf blog world but c'mon. Crop out the lame stuff in the frame. Throw out the lame photos. It all just seemed very lazy in a "I'm am so cool already that I don't need to do anything more" way. Lacking. But the boards they had in the shop....oh my. Felt all the curves and pulled out the pocket measure on a couple and stored them in my memory bank. Stony shapin' later on that night for sure.

Then went with a buddy to see the jazz stylins of the Mattson 2 at the Gato Heroi show the next night. He makes some sweet boards and seems like a real cool cat. A lot of good resinwork by his other partner in crime, Chris, I believe. His buddy Knost even showed up later and jammed some post punk that had the Newport kids moshin' and thrashin' around all the nice Gato boards and art. I was hopin' no one would put a stomp thru one of those nice singlefins. Good show. Good to see what the young kids are groovin' to these days.

Back in the drink the last coupla days but it has been disappointing and weak. But I expected that. Weak windswell and small sloppy brown ocean peaks. It was good to get some fast beachbreak though. Think I'll skip it tomorrow as the winds should blow all night but ya never know.

3.1 @ 7 secs from 310

8 Comments:

At 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barry Mcgee - cream always rises to the top.

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger resintint said...

TWIST!!!
Mcgee is the REAL DEAL, where was
he showing in Riverside?
I know what you mean about the Mollusk show. Another artist friend of mine & I were talking about
it just the other night. A lot of the spirit of these
younger cats is just to do it and see if it floats, and
if not...no problem, onto another project.
Which I think is fantastic.
Fortunately for these guys, there is currently a scene/subculture/audience who are digging it, or
at least showing their support by going to the
shows, exhibits, openings, whatever you wanna
call it. But at the end of the day, it's all subjective
and there were definitely some shitty photos up that evening which actually stopped me from getting a burrito next door.
-fsacto

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger pushingtide said...

Ha! Exactly Tint.

I am all for it too, just a little more effort thrown in would be nice.

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger pushingtide said...

haaate spam.

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger surferbrat said...

are u coming back, push?

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Bill said...

Were awaiting the next "thingy"

please post PT

.

 
At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the tip, the show was cool.

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Jamie Welsh Watson said...

I love your blog! I was happy you said hello on mine last week, thank you. I am going to see the Mattson 2 on Monday night in SF, for my first time. Have a great weekend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home