Friday, February 27, 2009

Life



Grandfather's hands. Just turned 96. Full life. Hardcore carpenter and whittler. In his late years he would still go to whittling conventions where they would say, here is a block of wood, make a ____ out of it in 2 minutes. Amazing almost lost art.

He surprised me one year with a wood carved surfer. Not some cheesy stanced typical surfer Cardiff style. Nope, his was of an ancient Hawaiian, no trunks but a loincloth around his waist, even had him standing on a wave made of driftwood. Incredible to me. Should post a pic of it one day. Hopefully I picked up an ounce of his talent and drive and life.

My grandmother, his wife obviously, died recently and he is devastated. 76 years(!!!) of marriage will do that to you. Rad. Sad.

Need some cleansin' today. Keep on truckin' Grandpa!

4.1 @ 12secs from 295

10 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Blogger ras said...

nice post. my gramps passed on in October. in his mid 90's. we had waves that week-it helped a ton. respec.

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger David J. Hirsh said...

nice show of respect to the elder. that's generally missing in our culture relative others (asian and indigenous for example). have a great weekend. I gotta go call my granny in philly.

David

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Jamie Welsh Watson said...

Yes. I love this post too and I am sorry for your loss, and for your Grandpa's loss. He has beautiful hands. I called my Grandma today in San Diego. She is 90 and as sweet and fiery as ever. Bless our elders.

 
At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic to see that a lot of good old people are still kickin'.

-push

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger Surfsister said...

Nice, push.

Take care of yourself . . . and your granddad.

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger R.T. said...

76 years! I can't even imagine the feeling and depth of that loss. He sounds like a very special man, and sure she must have been an amazing gal. All my respect and best wishes to your Grandfather. Would love to see an extended post on his whittling.

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Toddy said...

Good. Just plain good.

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Mr. Lentini said...

great picture

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger twin said...

beautiful
hands speaking
volumes
without uttering
a word

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Gaz said...

Please please put up a photo of his surfer??

Love this post Ptide!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home