Thursday, May 08, 2008

Mellow Yeller





Off up in Idaho working and working for the man for half a month or so. Beautiful country. I knew I'd have some downtime and no buddies so I brought an old Clark Foam Super Blue blank I had kept around for times like this and brought some hand tools up with me. Rented out, basically for me buying them beer, this dilapidated old shack just outside of the random town of Ketchum. Set up a tarp to try to keep most of the messy foam contained. Turned on an old cassette deck and started mowin' foam on my 3rd. Love my cassettes and how they “make” you listen to the whole album and not just push skip all the time. She came out 5'4ish. Yellow. Fat. Nasty. Little fishy, what else really?

Cool experience being up in the Northwest, breathing good air and shapin' a board. Only thing that got to me was the lack of the ocean, obviously. Fondlin' foam every other day though got me through it and kept me feeling connected. Almost felt the ocean connection more so up there than when I am home for some odd reason. I was obsessed with thinking about the waves I was trying not to forget while shapin' the fishy's curves. Felt a little better about the glassin’ part, my laps were cut well and didn’t need to sand as much at the end. Still lumpy and bumpy but hey, the ocean is lumpy and bumpy, a perfect fit.

Fun first week back in the LA ocean. New fishy had some fun windswell at the beginning of the week. Peaks and valleys and mush and speed. Although I wished the tide was lower, coulda been even more fun at a lil' spot. And then some south lines with some old faces the last couple of days of last week. A good inconsistent south where the sets still came in big 3's every 30 minutes. Warm air, cold water, salty taste, sealife smell, a seal, and some kind of whale blowin' his spout only 100 feet away. So fun to ride your own creation, figurin' out the good foot spots, amazed that it isn’t sinkin’, and smilin’ ear to ear. Long swoopin' speedin' pointin' waves. Love the ocean.

1.7 @ 9 secs from 310

9 Comments:

At 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Kaczynski Kruiser

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger pushingtide said...

I like it!

It is a dirty, sketchy board ridden usually with no one around.

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger borntoloser said...

I am stoked on this post! I've had a memorable time or two in the mountains, grasslands, lakes of Idaho/Wyoming. I get what you're saying about being "more connected".

Killer little fishy not in spite of, but because of, lumps and bumps and all.

Ride in peace!

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Bill said...

thank you !

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

Really feelin' this post!

 
At 12:16 AM, Blogger Wave Farmer said...

I was kinda gettin' worried...
What?
No Oregon stop over?
Not like you were in Nevada.

 
At 5:18 AM, Blogger slidelines said...

that fishy looks like it just sprouted outa the ground, you know what i mean?

 
At 11:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Backwoods shapin bratha!

 
At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, "feelin the ocean connection more, obsessed with thinking about the waves I was trying not to forget" Could not realte any more to that statement. Story of my life the last 3 years.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home