Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Semi Homespun Part I

The crowded small southie days of the last couple of weeks were a reminder of older crowded small southie days a couple years back. That is when I found her broken and beaten. Noticed the front half of an ol' weathered log under the pilings. My buddy grabbed the back half of her that was halfway down the sand. A wetsuited lad came swimming up out of the ocean and yelled "Fuck it, you take it, was shit anyway" and he walked off towards the path pissed.

It was about 5'3 by 22 inches of stoke.

I finally got around to scrapin' off all the old glass and underneath it all was brown and pockmocked. I was kinda bummed.



It sat in my rafters while I would get nice clean new blanks and shape them. But,I always thought it would be fun to try to make a shape out of the brown blob. So, I got back into the shed one day and measured and brainstormed but deemed it too short. Plus, it had this big v where I would be cutting out the tail.

Then, one rainy day I was bored and needed some inspiration so I looked at it again and started wonderin'. Just like the old owner said to me, Fuck it. So I traced out a little fishy shape and went to sawin'.



EDIT: Lookin' at the first pic, you can see where I was toyin' with the idea of having the fish tail cut out of the front of the board. Kind of a rounded fish tail with a lot of rocker. Wonder how that would have made the board come out? Would been interestin'. Has anyone ever tried that it on a half longboard blank? Or have one to try?!
1.1 @ 11secs from 170

4 Comments:

At 10:39 AM, Blogger Patch said...

Hey Push,
Have you glassed this yet or still in the process of shaping and figuring?

 
At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh it has been done, ridden to death, dinged, repaired, and now dinged again. Presently tryin' to revive her.

 
At 3:53 AM, Blogger unidentified said...

Seems it used to be easier to find
trashed longboards to use.
i love the idea. I guess it's now garage sale time to find 'em.
(even then people think they are worth
too much. a big problem with thrifting in general)

 
At 1:43 AM, Blogger Morgan said...

dang cool...thanks for the inspiration to get busy with a turd of a board i rescued from the beachhouse with a project like this in mind.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home