Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Help


Got down to the shore yesterday and was just going to jump in the ocean when I noticed a seagull flopping around. He was scared of me but could not fly away so I put down my board to investigate. Noticed he had a fishing hook in his foot and the fishing line was connected to wrapping around his beak. Everytime he tried to open his mouth it would pull the hook in farther! I looked around for a lifeguard but there was none so I rounded up the little guy to see what I could do. He was pissed and flopping around but I held him close and petted his head. The hook was lodged in his foot pretty good and I couldn't get it out with him flopping all around, plus I knew it probably hurt a ton when I was pulling on it. So I unraveled the line from around his beak and around his tongue (which was being sliced with every pull of his foot). So sad.

After that he was "free", in a way, and flew off a bit, I could still see him hobling down the beach but at least he can fly and eat. I really hope he was able to get the hook out later on in the day somehow. I had such a gross feeling in my stomach thinking about him and how much he was, and probably still is, hurting. But I was glad that at least I caught the little guy and helped him somewhat. Sad.

Then I see the Warbles post today of him finding almost the exact same thing yesterday to another beautiful bird only this time it was too late. Strange coincidental occurrences along the coast on the same day around the same time.

Caught some nice South lines this morn for all the downed birds. Crisp offshores at a spot that doesn't get offshores usually. Beautiful sunrise. Beautiful day.

2.1 @14secs from 195

4 Comments:

At 4:14 PM, Blogger christian said...

Right on, Push. That was a good thing you did. Sorry to hear about the other one, though.

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Bill said...

help 'm out man...that was good.

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Patch said...

That's some sad shit, but you made it better for him Push, good on ya.

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger R.T. said...

a valiant effort, Push!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home